Ghost in the graveyard is a popular game that has been played for a long time. You won’t find a real ghost but the game does include is a lot of fun and suspense. You can think of it as a bit of a cross between hide-n-seek and tag.
How to Play Ghost in the Graveyard
1. Find 3 or more players
2. Designate a playing area ( the field )
3. Designate a home base
4. Choose 1 person or kid to be the ghost
5. The kids count to midnight like ” 1 o’clock, 2 o’clock etc ” while the ghost needs to hide
6. When completing the count yell ” midnight, midnight! I hope I catch a ghost tonight! “
7. Players begin to search for the ghost
8. When a player sees the ghost he yells ” Ghost in the graveyard! ”
9. All the players now need to make it back to the home base without the ghost tagging them.
10. The ghost tries to tag the players as they run back to home base
11. If another player is tagged, they are the next ghost
12. If no player is tagged, the last player to make it to home base is the next ghost
Where Should You Play Ghost in the Graveyard?
The very first question that people have is where they can play Ghost in the Graveyard. The best thing about this game is that you can play it anywhere, be it indoors or outdoors. It tends to be more exciting playing it outdoors and perhaps in the dark.
Choose any space in the outdoors. It could be a backyard, the space between a couple of houses or any spot in the neighborhood. You need to designate an area where you will be playing the game. It is always a good idea to select an area where you can find plenty of spaces to hide. This will make the game far more fun, interesting and challenging.
Who Can Play the Game?
Literally, anybody can play this game because it is very easy to understand, learn and play. In order to be able to play Ghost in the Graveyard, you just need to know how to count, be able to run fast, and how to find a good hiding spot. At least three people are required to play the game, but you know how they say, the more, the merrier.
A large group of people makes for a much longer game, which eventually turns out to be more enjoyable than a small group of only three people. You can even get your whole family to play this game since there are no age limits, but it is better to let the kids have some fun.
Ideally, you should get all the kids from the neighborhood together because this will give everyone the chance to interact with each other and spend quality time outside.
Ghost in the graveyard variations
There are several variations on how to play Ghost in the Graveyard. This is one of the most amazing things about it. The variation we talked about can be played during the night or day and it can be easily played indoors or outdoors.
Ghost in the Graveyard has other variations where the ghost is the one who stays at home base and everybody else finds a place to hide.
Here are a few key things that you should remember while playing this variation of the game:
- Everybody has to play within the agreed playing area.
- The last person who remains untagged or the first person to make it to the home base is the winner of the game.
- Make sure that you have permission to play in the designated area before you start playing the game.
- There has to be more than enough area to run in the designated area so that nobody trips.
Warning: Keep playing area clear of any potential tripping hazards. Playing in the dark can be fun but increases the risk.
Now that you have learned how to play Ghost in the Graveyard, try it out with your friends and family. Just make sure that you stay safe and have a lot of fun! Learn how to play a traditional game of kick the can.