Want to get kids excited about the Olympics? There may be no better way than to have them participate in their own Olympic games.
These fun Olympic game ideas are designed to do just that. Games of competition and cooperation will get them in the Olympic spirit.
Make sure you stock up on supplies for your Olympic games:
- Stop watches
- Tape measures
- Whistles for the game officials
- Equipment that each game requires
Before games, have kids say the Olympic oath!
Every four years the world celebrates as the athletes take an oath.
In the name of all competitors, I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules that govern them, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams.
Have your kids put up their right hand and say an oath/promise at the beginning of your games.
A simplified version for the kids to say before their events is:
“I promise to follow the rules of the games.
To be fair.
To be a good sport, and honor my teams!
I’ll remember to play for fun!
Let the games begin!
Kids Olympic Game Ideas
1. Set up a colored ring toss
2. Have a Hula-Hoop contest
3. A hammer throw
- Small paper bag
- Stuff a small paper bag with newspaper.
- Tie it off with a 12″ long string.
- Hold the end of the string.
- Spin around 3 times. Let go.
- Watch how far the hammer travels.
- Record distances.
- The longest distance wins.
4. Javelin throw
- Soda straws
- Waste paper basket
- Tape 4 straws together end to end.
- Mark a starting line behind which all players must stand.
- Place a wastepaper basket 5 feet from the starting line.
- Throw straws into the wastebasket.
- Give each player 5 turns.
- The winner is the child who gets the straws into the basket the most times.
5. Standing broad stretch
- Mark a starting line with tape.
- Start with the toes behind the line.
- Take one giant step.
- Measure the step.
- The winner is the one who took the biggest step.
6. Shot put for distance
- Make a ball out of aluminum foil.
- Hold the ball in the palm of one hand.
- Instruct children to place that hand next to their ear and then push the shot into the air extending their arms.
- They can not move their feet.
- Record distances; the longest distance wins.
7. Discus throw
- Use a Frisbee to play discus, or tape two heavy foam plates together.
- Hold the “discus” like a flying disk.
- Throw away from the waist.
- Record distances.
- The longest distance wins
8. Play badminton
- You can have competitions involving pairs and singles.
- You will need a judge to determine if shots are in or out in the event there is a question.
- Use the official badminton rules or make your own that are consistent for every team.
- Set goals at least 15 feet apart. Goals can be as simple as a rope anchored in the ground.
- Play the best two out of three games.
- Keep scores for medals and prizes.
10. Other games
Can you play any of the games mentioned above such as:
They’re all summer Olympic Games!
Other Olympic game ideas
Another great idea could be to play an Olympic themed game of charades for kids. The kids could act out the different sports and the other kids would have to guess what sport it is.
Check out the great ideas in the Races, relays, balloons & beanbag. All great games for an Olympics type theme! There are more than 45 games in that Category!
Also, look at ideas in the Outdoor water play Category. Towards the page bottom is a description of a water-themed field day!
Olympic Games Photo Ops
This is a good time to gather the children with their Olympic flags and medals and make a group picture or individual pictures before and at the closing ceremony after the games.
Make sure someone has a camera and video camera during the events!
We hope you have enjoyed this fun list of Olympic game ideas. How did your event go? Did the kids enjoy the competition? If you want some more Olympic ideas make sure you check out our Olympic themed crafts.