More than 70 APPLE SNACKS AND COOKING IDEAS!
If you are looking to turn those freshly picked apples into some apple snack or if you need some apple recipe ideas for kids, look no further. Cooking with kids is one of the greatest thing you can do with them! Cooking is Science, Literacy, Math and Fun all rolled into one! Do it often…On this page you can choose from Apple recipes of Dips, Spreads, Snacks, Crock-Pot, Novelty, Microwave, On a Stick, and more!
In a quandry about what apples are good for what? Check out this…nice apple variety tip page
Table of Contents
- Crock-pot Apple Recipes
- Microwave Apple Recipes
- Novelty Apple Recipes
- Apple Snack Ideas
- Store Bought Apple Snacks
- Apples On a Stick Ideas
- Apple Drinks
- More Easy Apple Snacks
- Baked Apple Recipes
- Apple Salads
- Apple Dips & Spreads
- Holiday Apple Ideas
CROCK-POT APPLE RECIPES
1. BAKED APPLES IN A CROCK POT!
5 to 6 med. apples, cored & peeled about 1 inch down
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. raisins (more if desired)
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. water
Mix sugar, raisins and cinnamon. Stuff apples with sugar mixture and dot them with butter. Pour water into cooker. Add apples. Cook on low 7 to 8 hours.
Yummy with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream put on top! (If cinnamon ice cream is available that would also be good. Yields 5 to 6 servings. (Image by KidActivities.net)
NOTE: KidActivities added another 1/2 cup of water when testing the recipe. It may not have been needed but the result was a nice quantity of syrup to serve over the apples. Left-over apples were also enjoyed the next morning. About 30 seconds in the microwave and apples were as tasty as the previous day…
2. CROCK POT APPLESAUCE
10 large cooking apples, peeled, cored & sliced or cut in chunks
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 to 1 c. sugar
Put all ingredients into crockpot. Should be about 3/4 full. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (High 3 to 4 hours).
MICROWAVE APPLE RECIPES
3. TEN MINUTE APPLESAUCE
3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
3 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 cup unfiltered apple juice
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a sealable microwave-safe container, combine apples with all other ingredients.
- Close lid, leaving one corner of lid open to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Using a hand blender or potato masher, blend to desired consistency.
- Serve hot immediately or chill for later use.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown-Food Network
4. BAKED APPLES IN MICROWAVE
Ingredients: 2 Granny smith apples, 2 Tablespoons butter, Cinnamon, 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Have adult core apples or show child how to core apples with an apple corer. Child can place apples in microwave safe dish.
- In each apple add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Add a little water to the bottom of the dish.
- Microwave 4-5 minutes.
- Don’t forget to use pot holders to remove dish from microwave. Let apples sit for a few minutes before eating.
5. SUPER QUICK APPLE PIE
18 Oatmeal cookies
1 can Apple pie filling
Large square or rectangular microwave container…
- Have children crumble 9 cookies in the bottom of dish.
- Open and pour the can of pie filling; spread evenly.
- Crumble the other 9 cookies on top.
- Cover the top lightly with Saran wrap type product and put it in microwave for 5 minutes on high. Allow to cool before serving.
6. APPLE AND CHEESE TORTILLA
1 flour tortilla (6 inch diameter)
4 tbsp medium cheddar cheese, grated
1/3 cup thinly sliced or cut up apples
Place the tortilla on a plate and sprinkle 2 tbsp cheddar cheese on 1 half of the tortilla. Place the apple pieces over the cheese. Then sprinkle 2 tbsp cheese over the apple pieces. Fold the tortilla over the filling. Microwave on high, for about 1 minute. Cut the tortilla in half or thirds and serve.
NOTE: Be sure to let these cool awhile. The cheese in the tortillas stays HOT for a few minutes!
TIP: Having just made these –the directions above are fine using a ‘sweet’ apple. I think they’d also be nice with a little brown sugar and cinnamon mixture (or sugar/cinnamon) sprinkled on the top–especially if using apples that are not sweet. “R” really liked these and we’ll be making them again! Surprisingly, they are very filling. (Image by KidActivities.net)
NOVELTY APPLE RECIPES
7. APPLE OR PEAR MOUTH
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
1 medium apple or pear
1 Tbsp peanut butter (or low fat cream cheese or cottage cheese) Cutting board
1. Cut apple into 8 slices. Spread 4 of the slices with a small amount of peanut butter.
2. Insert raisins between the apple slices for “teeth”.
3. Top the apple slices with another apple slice.
4. Serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
8. WORMY APPLE…
Help kids slice apples into thirds and remove seeds from the center. They reassemble the apple with peanut butter (or cream cheese) and gummy worms between each layer. Worms should be hanging out from apple. (Image by KidActivities.net)
9. AIR-DRIED APPLE RINGS
Peel, core, and cut apples into rings. Dip into salted water for 15 minutes. Dry for two weeks. Enjoy! You can make raisins from grapes the same way.
10. APPLE SMILES
This is an apple recipe your kids are sure to love. Cut a red apple into slices. (These are the lips) Have child spread peanut butter or cream cheese on apple slice. Place mini marshmallows (these are the teeth) on top of peanut butter and top with other apple slice. (Image by KidActivities.net)
11. APPLE PIGS
Red Delicious apple
5 red gumdrops
4 whole cloves
Red shoestring licorice
- Turn the apple on its side.
- Insert one end of a toothpick into a gumdrop and stick the other end into the bottom of the apple core to form a snout.
- Break toothpicks in half and affix four gumdrops as feet.
- Set clove nostrils in the nose and clove eyes above the snout.
- Twist off the stem, poke a hole with a toothpick, and insert an inch-long piece of shoestring licorice into the hole to make a tail.
- Last, cut a piece of fruit leather into a rectangle measuring 1 by 1/2 inch, then cut again on the diagonal to form two equal-size triangles.
- Affix upright triangles with small pieces of toothpick to create ears, and then bend over the upper portion of each triangle to cover the spot where the toothpick shows.
12. WORMY BAKED ‘APPLE TONGUES’ AND ‘RAISIN BUGS’
6 red baking apples, cored and sliced (KA left the skins on–peel if desired)
1/4 cup raisins
1 Tbsp soft margarine
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
6 candy gummy worms
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine apples, raisins, lemon juice, spices and sugar in a large baking dish.
Cover and bake until apples are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
Place in bowls and serve warm or chilled. Garnish each one with a gummy worm.
Serves 6. (Image by KidActivities.net)
TIP: If you wish to serve from baking dish–scatter gummy worms in/out/and under the apples. This recipe is delicious as a dessert without making it a ‘gross type’ dish. Just omit the gummy worms and serve with ice-cream or whipped topping!
13. APPLE FACES
Slice round pieces of apples. Cover top with peanut butter. Make facial features as desired using a variety of raisins, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and M & M’s.
(Image by KidActivities.net)
APPLE SNACK IDEAS
14. APPLE BARK
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 tablespoon peanut butter
2½ tablespoons golden or black raisins
1½ tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries
Cut apple into four quarters, starting at the stem. Remove the core by cutting away to leave a flat surface on the apple quarter. Be careful not to cut too much of the edible portion of the apple away. Drop and slightly spread the peanut butter on apple quarters. Mix together the raisins and dried cranberries then sprinkle on peanut butter.
15. BAGEL – APPLE – CHEESE SNACK
1 bagel, sliced in half
1 apple, 2 slices of cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. of cinnamon
1/8 tsp. of sugar
Slice the apple into round apple slices about 1/4 inch thick. Carefully cut out small round circle in middle to remove seeds. Put a cheese slice on top of each bagel half, then put an apple slice on top of that. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar on top of each. Put them on a cookie sheet and into the oven for 5 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Watch them very closely to make sure they don’t burn. They are done when the cheese starts to melt. (Image by KidActivities.net)
16. APPLE SNACKS
Ingredients: Apples, Peanut butter, Corn Flakes or Frosted Flakes
Slice unpared apple in thin wedges. Spread with peanut butter and dip into corn flakes. Good and nutritious too! (Next time I make these I’ll sprinkle lightly with cinnamon-sugar mixture and/or use frosted flakes ceral instead of regular corn flakes. (Image by KidActivities.net)
17. ANTS ON BOATS!
Peanut Butter or Cream Cheese
Cut the apples into wedges or rings and spread thinly with peanut butter or cream cheese. Sprinkle a few raisins over, and enjoy.
18. HEALTHY APPLE TUNA SANDWICH
1 can (6 1/2 ounce) tuna in water, drained
1 small apple, halved (remove seeds) and chopped (1 cup)
1/4 cup lowfat vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon honey
6 slices whole wheat bread
3 iceberg lettuce leaves
1. Combine tuna, apple, yogurt, mustard, and honey.
2. Spread 1/2 cup mixture on 3 bread slices.
3. Top each with lettuce leaf and remaining bread.
4. Place on cutting board.
5. Cut sandwiches in half.
19. PEANUT BUTTER AND APPLE SANDWICH
(Depending on apple and bread size-one apple may make 3 sandwiches)
Ingredients: Apple, Peanut Butter, Sliced Bread
Core and slice an apple into thin slices.
Spread peanut butter over one slice of bread–making sure bread slice is covered to the edges. Place apple slices over the peanut butter in a single layer.
Top with another slice of bread and cut in half.
20. APPLE CRISPIES
Traditional rice crispy bars with a twist (Not using apples–but apple ring cereal!)
15 oz box apple ring cereal
16 oz bag large marshmallows
3 tbsp butter or margarine
non-stick cooking spray
- Over medium-high heat, melt butter in a non-stick saucepan. Add entire bag of marshmallows to the pot. Stir constantly until all of the marshmallows have melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour entire box of cereal into a large non-stick pot or bowl. Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir to completely cover all of the cereal.
For Round Apple Crispies: Lightly spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray. Shape cereal mixture into balls. Store in an air tight container or wrap individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow to harden slightly.
For Thick Apple Crispy Bars: Press cereal mixture in a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow bars to harden slightly before cutting.
Tip: To ensure easy cutting, spray your knife with non-stick cooking spray. This will prevent the knife from sticking to the marshmallow.
Store Bought Apple Snacks
- Apple tasting with several apple varieties
- Apple Pie
- Caramel apples
- Apple Chips
- Apple Fritters
- Apple Juice or Cider
- Apple Strudel
- Apple sauce
- Fruit Ripples or Rolls
- Apple Jacks Cereal
‘APPLES ON A STICK’ IDEAS
22. MAKING GOURMET APPLES WITH A GROUP… (Adapted from Mrs. Z. Rochester, Mi.)
Apples MUST be dry and room temp.
Put caramels in a crock pot (You can also microwave the caramel dip sold in stores)
Place Popsicle sticks in stems of large apples.
- Adult- When caramel is melted, put the apple on a stick in crock pot; make sure it’s totally covered.
- Let it drip; place on wax paper on a paper plate.
- Next have semi-sweet choc melted and put in baggie; snip off the corner of baggie and drizzle over caramel. You can also do white chocolate…
- Decorate with choice of colored sprinkles, nuts, m&m’s, seasonal edible decorations, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, Reese pieces etc.
Mrs. Z gives children the choice of two decorations. (At home she does more)
- Lift off the paper plate and place on a doily.
These are great gifts too!
23. CARAMEL APPLE PIE ON A STICK (A version of gourmet apples!)
(14-ounce) package unwrapped caramels, 3 apples, 3 cinnamon sticks (to use for apple sticks) or Popsicle sticks,
30 vanilla wafer cookies, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat a small saucepan over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons water and the Caramels.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir the caramels frequently until they are completely melted.
Be careful not to burn the caramel.
- While the caramels are melting, pull the stems out of the apples and cut a thin slice from the bottoms so they have a flat surface to stand on.
- Insert a cinnamon stick into the top of each apple.
- Put the vanilla wafers into a plastic bag and coarsely crush them.
- Add the crumbs into a bowl and mix in the cinnamon.
- Dip each apple into the melted caramel, making sure to get it completely coated.
- Put the coated apples onto a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate the caramel apples for 1 to 2 minutes to harden up the caramel. Roll them in the cinnamon-crumb mixture and enjoy!
Source: food network-Ham on the street show
24. STUFFED APPLES ON A STICK
Peel (optional) and core an apple. Mix peanut butter with one of the following: Raisins, wheat germ or granola. Stuff this mixture into the hole of the cored apple. Slice in half to serve…or stick the apple half on a Popsicle stick. It’s both novel and neat way to eat
25. PEANUT BUTTER APPLES ON A STICK
12 apples (plus 12 Popsicle sticks)
Rinse apples, pat dry, and remove apple stems and insert a Popsicle stick into stem of each apple. Cover apples by spreading peanut butter. Roll in raisins, dried cranberries, and shredded coconut
26. APPLE KABOBS
1 large red apple cut into 8 wedges
Small jar creamy peanut butter (if no allergies)
A large banana
- To make a kabob, carefully push a skewer through the ingredients, starting with a piece of apple, then a marshmallow, then banana, then another marshmallow.
- Spread a little peanut butter on top of the marshmallow. Now, skewer a piece of banana and another marshmallow (with more peanut butter) and finish with a piece of apple. *(For allergies use cream cheese or leave plain)
- Repeat with a second skewer. Makes 2 kabobs.
Tip: Dip apple slices in lemon juice or orange juice so they won’t brown…
27. ROLLED CRISPY APPLES (on tooth picks)
1. Cut apples into bite-size pieces.
2. Stick apple pieces with toothpicks.
3. Dip them in honey and crispy rice cereal.
28. CARAMEL APPLES WITH BUTTERFINGERS
Tart apples, washed, dried and stems removed
1 package (14 ounces) caramels
2 tablespoons water
2 (2.1 ounces each) Nestle Butterfinger Candy Bars, chopped
- Line tray or baking sheet with wax paper. Insert 1 wooden craft stick into stem end of each apple.
- MICROWAVE caramels and water in large, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 2 minutes; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- DIP each apple in melted caramel; scrape excess caramel from bottoms.
- Quickly roll bottom half of apples in chopped Butterfinger, then place on prepared tray.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes or until set.
- Store apples in refrigerator in airtight container. Apples are best if they are served the same day as they are prepared.
- NOTE: If caramel becomes firm, return to microwave oven for 20 to 30 seconds or until dipping consistency. Two (1.5 ounces each) Nestle Cruch Candy Bars may be used in place of Nestle Butterfinger Candy Bars.
29. CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER APPLES ON A STICK
10 to 12 wooden popsicle sticks
10 to 12 medium apples, stems removed
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE’S Peanut Butter Chips
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup powdered sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes or chopped REESE’S Peanut Butter Chips(optional)
1. Insert wooden stick into each washed and dried apple. Cover tray with wax paper.
2. Stir together peanut butter chips and oil in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 minutes or until chips are softened. Stir until melted. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.
3. Stir together powdered sugar and cocoa; gradually add to melted chip mixture, stirring until smooth. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until very warm.
4. Dip apples in mixture; twirl to remove excess coating. (If coating becomes too thick, return to microwave for a few seconds or add additional oil 1 teaspoon at a time.) Roll lower half of coated apple in coconut or chopped chips, if desired. Allow to cool on prepared tray. Refrigerate, if desired. 10 to 12 apples.
30. MINI BUTTERSCOTCH OR PEANUT BUTTER CHIP APPLES ON A STICK
4 inch lollipop/sucker sticks
Granny Smith apples (one apple makes about 8 mini apples)
Butterscotch or peanut butter chips
Chopped nuts, nonpareils, sprinkles, shredded coconut (optional)
Small paper candy cups
Cut the lollipop sticks in half at an angle (the pointy end will go into the apple pieces easier). With the melon baller, scoop little balls out of the apple. Each ball should have a section of apple peel. Push half of a lollipop stick into the peel of each ball. Pat the apple pieces dry.
Melt the chips according to the package directions. Dip and swirl the mini apples in the melted chips, then roll the apples in nuts, sprinkles, nonpareils, or coconut, if desired. Place the mini apples in paper candy cups to set.
31. TIPS FOR MAKING DIPPED APPLES AND APPLES ON A STICK
1. Be sure your apples are washed and VERY dry before dipping.
2. Choose smaller apples to make caramel go further.
3. Use cold apples for dipping to keep the caramel from sliding off.
4. Are these a gift? If in doubt, decorate your apples. If they’re coated in nuts, chocolate, etc., they won’t stick together and can be packaged individually.
5. If using store-bought apples, the wax applied to them may keep the caramel from sticking. Scrub apples clean with baking soda, or dip briefly in boiling water to remove the wax.
6. When decorating with larger items, don’t make them too big, as big items tend to be too heavy for the caramel to hold them.
7. Spray wax paper before putting the apples on them. When the caramel dries it will stick to whatever it is touching. And a slightly wet apple is easier to slide off of then a dry piece of wax paper or cupcake liner!!!
HOW ABOUT ADDING ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING TO CARAMEL & CHOCOLATE DIPPED APPLES…
- Sprinkles (any kind)
- Chocolate or White Chocolate Chips
- Peanut Butter or Butterscotch Chips
- Mini Chips
- Chopped Peanuts, Walnuts, or Pecans
- Whole (or half) Walnuts and Pecans
- Cookie Crumbs (Oreo, graham cracker, etc.)
- Pretzel Pieces
- Pieces of Cereal (Individual Cheerios, Apple Jacks, etc.)
- Melted Chocolate or White Chocolate (dipped or drizzled)
- Melted Butterscotch or Peanut Butter Chips (drizzled or dipped)
- Crushed Candy Bars (Kit Kats, Reese’s Cups, Butterfingers, etc.)
- M&M’s and Mini M&M’s
- Reese’s Pieces
- Candy Corns (use the red ones for fangs!)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Gummi Bears, Worms, etc.
- Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Dried Pineapple, etc.
- Shredded Coconut (mix with food coloring to make colored coconut)
- Melted White Chocolate with Food Coloring (for faces, decorating, etc.)
32. WARM APPLE PUNCH
1 gal. (4 qt.) apple cider
1 tub CRYSTAL LIGHT SUNRISE Classic Orange Flavor Low Calorie Drink Mix
4 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp. whole cloves (if desired)
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (if desired)
- PLACE all ingredients in large saucepan.
- Cook on low heat 20 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. (Do not boil.)
- Can also be made in crock pot…
REMOVE cinnamon sticks and cloves; discard. Serve warm.
33. WARM APPLE PUNCH #2
1 gal. (4 qt.) Apple Cider
About a cup of orange juice
Orange slices a nice touch…
2- 4 cinnamon sticks
PLACE all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook on low heat 20 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. (Do not boil.) Can also be made in crock pot…
REMOVE cinnamon sticks Serve warm.
Great for the Holidays and winter Days!
34. WARM CRANBERRY APPLE PUNCH
2 quarts apple cider, 6 cups cranberry juice, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 4 cinnamon sticks, 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves, 1 lemon, thinly sliced
In a large pot, combine apple cider, cranberry juice, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves and lemon slices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove cinnamon, cloves, and lemon slices. Serve hot.
35. HOT RASBERRY CIDER
8 cups Apple cider or Apple juice
1 cup frozen raspberry juice concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
Makes 8 servings
Combine all ingredients in 4-quart saucepan.
Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture starts to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick. Serve hot.
36. HOT APPLE TEA
1 quart Michigan Apple Cider or Michigan Apple juice
4 tea bags
Heat Apple Cider until simmering. Remove from heat and add tea bags. Let steep 2 minutes. Remove tea bags and serve hot.
37. JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH (APPLE) SMOOTHIE
(Makes four, 6-ounce servings)
2 8-ounce carton low fat peach yogurt
1 6-ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
4 ice cubes
Add each of the ingredients in the order listed to a blender.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into glasses and serve.
38. APPLE PIE-A-LA-MODE SMOOTHIE
2 cup frozen vanilla yogurt, nonfat
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup apple juice, chilled
1 cup apple, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine the frozen yogurt, applesauce, and apple juice in a blender.
Add the apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Blend until smooth.
39. APPLE SLUSHY COOLER….
For younger kids, you may want to substitute apple juice, which is a bit sweeter than cider.
8 apple-cider ice cubes
1/4 cup apple cider or water
Drop the apple cider ice cubes into a blender or food processor. Pour in the apple cider or water. Blend until slushy, adding more liquid if necessary. Serves 1.
MORE EASY APPLE SNACKS…
40. STEAMED APPLES
- Give each child an apple cut in half. Have them sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on them.
- Using and electric skillet, have each child put two tablespoons of water in the skillet.
- Each child place their apples in the skillet. Put the lid on the skillet and simmer about 5 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- The children really like them! You can add whipped cream some ice cream.
- Peeled and sliced apples are also good this way!
41. APPLE BUTTER
Ingredients: 4lbs. apples, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cloves (ground)
Core and quarter unpeeled apples; chop or put in blender with water and vinegar.
Cook in a saucepan over low heat until the mixture gets thick and turns brown.
Stir occasionally. This will take 2-3 hours (1/4 of that time in a microwave oven).
Add sugar and spices and cook for 1/2 hour more.
Refrigerate, then spread on toast or muffins.
42. COLONIAL APPLE BUTTER
6 pounds of tart apples
6 cups apple cider or juice
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Core and quarter apples; cook with cider in a large heavy saucepan until soft, about 30 minutes. Press through a food mill. Boil gently 30 minutes; stir often. Stir in sugar and spices. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Boil gently stirring often until desired thickness about 1 hour. Pour into hot 1/2 pint jars adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. (Start counting time after water returns to a boil.) Makes 8 half-pints.
43. CARAMEL APPLE SLICES…
Melt about 25 caramel pieces with one tablespoon of water over low-heat. Core apples and slice to about 1” thick. Toss slices in melted caramel and roll in chopped peanuts. (If no allergies) Cool the caramel apple slices on wax paper.
Baked Apple Recipes
44. Easy Apple Turnovers
1 can apple pie filling
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400′.
- Flatten each biscuit into a 6″ round. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of pie filling on each biscuit.
- Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold over and press edges firmly with a fork to seal.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle over top of biscuits. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
45. APPLE PIE MUFFINS
Ingredients for one:
Half of an English Muffin
Butter or margarine
Cinnamon and Sugar mixture
Also need: Paper plates, plastic utensils and a TOASTER OVEN.
Spread butter on English muffin… Shake on cinnamon sugar…. Add apples slices…. Toast
46. WARM APPLE CHEESE MELTS
You should plan on 1 Granny Smith apple, 4 ounces of low-fat cheddar cheese and 24 whole-grain crackers to serve 12 children.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut apple into quarters and slice each quarter crosswise into six pieces.
- Cut cheese into 24 slices, each about 1 inch square.
- Place 24 crackers on the oven tray and place 1 apple on each cracker.
- Top the apple with a square of cheese. Bake 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.
Source: Apples in the Classroom, Apples in the Kitchen Texas Child Care, Winter 2006.
47. HOMEMADE OVEN-DRIED APPLES
1. Core 4 medium-size tart cooking apples. Peel apples if you like. Slice the apples into rings, about 1/4-inch thick.
2. To keep the apple rings from browning, in a large bowl, combine 2 cups cold water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add the apple rings, making sure each apple ring gets coated with the water-lemon mixture. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well; pat apple rings dry with paper towels.
3. Preheat oven to 300°F. Lightly coat 2 wire racks with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the apple rings in a single layer on the wire racks, making sure rings do not touch or overlap. Set each rack on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Reverse positions of the baking sheets in the oven, moving the baking sheet from the top oven rack to the bottom oven rack and vice versa. Bake for 15 minutes more. Turn off the oven. Let the apple rings dry in the oven, with the door closed, for 3 hours. Remove from oven.
4. To store, place apple rings in large heavy-duty plastic bag. Close bag.
Makes about 4 cups.
48. APPLE CEREAL SNACK
1 sm. box shredded wheat with apple cereal
1/2 c. melted butter
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Combine butter, sugar and cinnamon. Pour over cereal. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
49. PEANUT BUTTER APPLE CRUMBLE
Ingredients: 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE’S Peanut Butter Chips
1 cup sugar, divided
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 cup quick-cooking or regular rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Stir together apples, peanut butter chips, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in large bowl. Spread in prepared pan; dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Stir together remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining 1/2 cup flour, oats and cinnamon in medium bowl; cut in remaining 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle oat mixture over apples.
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and edges are bubbly. Cool slightly. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired. 6 to 8 servings.
50. MAKE APPLE LEATHER
Ingredients: 3-5 pounds apples, 1/4-1/2 cup sugar, if desired, 1/8 cup lemon juice, if desired, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Peel, core and slice apples.
2. Cook uncovered in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over low heat. If apples are dry, add a little water to prevent scorching. Cook until the they have the appearance of applesauce. Continue cooking until apples are brown and look like apple butter.
3. Add sugar if apples aren’t sweet enough and add lemon juice if the apples aren’t tart enough.
4. Add the spices. Mix completely and let cook a little longer to allow the flavors to blend. When the apple mix clings to an upturned spoon, it is ready.
5. Cool in an uncovered pot.
6. Spread mix evenly and thinly on 2 waxed paper lined cookie sheets. Let dry in a warm oven (125 degrees) overnight or on the counter uncovered, for 2-3 days. Check the apple leather for dryness. When you can touch it with your finger and it is not sticky, it is dry enough. It should be flexible, not brittle.
7. Cut in 1/2 inch strips.
8. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Eat like a fruit roll. Store in tightly sealed containers; it can also be frozen and will keep well for months.
51. APPLE SALAD
6 medium apples
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup white grape juice
Peel and chop the apples. Mix well and add the remaining ingredients.
52. THREE APPLE SNICKERS® CANDY BAR SALAD (Kids love this-in fact everyone loves it!)
#1 Made with 12 Apples…
Core and cut up (small pieces) 6 Delicious apples. (Leave peeling on for color.) Core and dice 6 green apples. (Leave peeling on for color.)
Add 6-8 frozen SNICKERS® candy bars which have been crushed or pounded with a rolling pin so they are in big pieces. Fold altogether. Then add a big carton of Cool Whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
SNICKERS® – APPLE SALAD
#2 Made with 3 apples…
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip
3 apples, diced
3 regular size SNICKERS® candy bars, frozen
Mix together the Cool Whip and apples. Smash the SNICKERS® bars and add to the salad. Best if you allow to stand for a little while before serving.
APPLE SNICKERS® SALAD
#3 Made with 6-8 apples…
6-8 apples (unpeeled)
2 SNICKERS® bars
1 1/2 to 2 c. Cool Whip
Cut apples in small pieces. Dice SNICKERS® and add them and Cool Whip. Let chill at least 1 hour.
55. APPLE WALDORF SALAD
(Six 3/4 cup servings)
3/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons milk
3 medium unpeeled red eating apples, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
3 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
Salad greens, if desired
1. Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice and milk in medium bowl.
2. Stir in apples, celery and nuts. Serve on salad greens. Cover and refrigerate any remaining salad.
56. APPLE JUICE JIGGLERS #1 (Makes 45 cubes)
Nonstick cooking spray
1- 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup water
1 6-ounce can of frozen apple juice concentrate,
Directions: Very lightly coat a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. Soften gelatin in water in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. Add frozen apple juice concentrate; mix well. Pour into pan. Cover and refrigerate. Chill until set, about 2-3 hours. Cut into one inch cubes and serve as a snack.
57. APPLE FINGER CUBES #2
2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin in a bowl
Add 2 cups of boiling water
Stir until gelatin is dissolved.
Add one 6 oz can of unsweetened frozen apple juice concentrate.
Pour into lightly greased cake pan. Cut into squares when firm.
58. FROZEN APPLESAUCE AND FRUIT CUP
1 cup Apple Sauce
10 oz pkg. frozen strawberries, thawed
11 oz Can mandarin orange segments, drained
1 cup Grapes (Optional)
2 TBL. Orange juice concentrate
In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Spoon fruit mixture into individual dishes or paper cups. Freeze until firm. Remove from freezer about 30 minutes before serving. Makes 7 (1/2 cup) servings.
59. APPLE PUDDING
1 cup leftover cooked rice
1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix rice and applesauce together in a large bowl. Add cinnamon and yogurt. Stir well. Spoon into dishes and serve. Makes six 1/2-cup servings.
APPLE DIPS & SPREADS
60. APPLE CARAMEL DIP #1
Caramel apple dip
1 bag Kraft caramels
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick butter or margarine
1 bag apples
Unwrap caramels. Combine caramels, butter and milk. Melt together in microwave. Stir occasionally while melting. Slice apples. Dip into warm caramel. Keeps well in refrigerator and just needs to be heated again when serving.
61. CARMEL APPLE SPREAD #2
8 oz Cream cheese, softened
1/2 c Brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Caramel Flavoring
Blend all ingredients with mixer. Serve with apple slices. Tastes like caramel apples, but doesn’t stick to your your teeth
62. APPLE CREAM CHEESE CARMEL DIP #3
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup caramel sauce
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix together and chill.
Option: Mold mixture into a ball and roll the ball in broken Heath pieces.
63. APPLE SPREAD #4
1 jar of Carmel sauce (Mrs. Richardson’s is good)
1/2 cup of Sour Cream
Heath Bar pieces
Mix all together…
64. APPLE SPREAD #5
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c. mayonnaise
Dash of sugar
1 c. chopped apple with peel
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped pecans
Mix together the cream cheese and cheddar cheese until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve with crackers or fresh vegetables.
65. APPLE CHEESE SPREAD #6
8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 cup diced apple (unpeeled)
1/3 chopped walnuts
2 Tbl. Milk
½ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat in the remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 1 to 2 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- The spread will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week if covered. Use spread on bagels, crackers or waffles.
Makes 2 cups.
66. TASTY APPLE DIP AND FLOUR TORTILLA CHIPS
(Reviews are really good on this one!)
1 1/3 cups peeled, cored, and diced apple
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons apricot preserves
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon…Mix all together and serve with below chips
Ingredients for chips:
5 (6-inch) flour tortillas
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1. Combine all the dip ingredients in a bowl, then cover and refrigerate the mixture until chilled.
2. Brush the tortillas with butter, and then cut them into wedges.
3. Arrange the wedges on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake at 350° F until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let them cool before serving. Serves 4 to 6.
67. HOT APPLE DIP (Great for the Autumn and Winter Holidays!)
2 cups or 16 servings
1 tub (8 oz.) Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 apple, chopped and divided in half,
1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 Tbsp. finely chopped Pecan Pieces
Wheat Thin Original Crackers or Cinnamon snack crackers
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix cream cheese, sugar and cinnamon or spice in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in half of the apples.
3. Spread into pie plate or small casserole dish. Top with remaining apples, Cheddar and nuts.
4. Bake 10 to 12 min. or until heated through.
Serve with crackers.
If your looking for a great variety of “Apple Themed Activities.” You’ll find art, games, crafts, diversity and more…Looking for the name and description of a great variety of apples-click here.
APPLE TASTING AND CHARTING!
Bring in LARGE VARIETY of apples. (During peek season there are many-many!) Have the children taste them and see which one they like the best. With older kids you can chart and tally the results.
…….You can also do this with applesauce (Flavored vs. Unflavored and also taste test Cider vs. Apple juice.
68. APPLE TURKEYS
These are fun to make. The tail feathers can be colored mini-marshmallows, gumdrops or ring cereal. This sample uses spice/gum drops. The feet can be whatever you decide–such as gum drops or candy corn.
Need: apples, large marshmallows, candy corn and colored toothpicks.
1. The apple is the body of the turkey.
2. Add colored mini-marshmallows or gum drops to 5 or 6 toothpicks; stick them in one end of the apple, like a fan.
3. Use a toothpick for the neck. Use a marshmallow for a head. Tiny raisin pieces make the eyes and a candy corn for the beak.
4. Use 3 yellow toothpicks for legs (in a triangular position so your turkey can stand up) (Sample and Photo by KidActivities)
Personally, I like to eat the spice gum-drops! When you are making food crafts with children, make sure to have a few extra pieces for the kids to munch on!
69. APPLES AND HONEY…This is good for Rosh Hashanah
A Jewish friend of mine does this with her family and friends. Take an apple and slice a thin piece from the bottom so that it stands up without support. Cut the top off and core the center out. Fill with honey.
70. APPLE CRANBERRY SAUCE (Pareve)
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
9 medium apples
1/2 bag of fresh cranberries
1/2 cup honey or to taste
1 tsp. lemon rind
Slice a few more apples… dip the slices in honey for a sweet New Year-Rosh Hashanah.
Core and cut up apples…
Cover well with water and cook until soft. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Cover cranberries with water and cook until very soft (about twenty minutes). Drain.
Put apples through food mill or force through colander to remove skins and seeds.
Add cranberries, honey, and lemon rind.
Note: Depending how tart or sweet you like your sauce, you can add more honey.
Wonderful for Jewish Celebration!
Use some of these great recipes in an Apple Theme. Click here for 2 pages of arts, crafts, games, songs, poems and more!
In a quandry about what apples are good for what? Check out this…nice apple variety tip page