Protect the President Game
If you’re looking for an exciting and interactive game that can be played with both small and large groups, you will want to consider Protect the President. This game is played much like Dodgeball, but there is a lot more strategy and team effort toward the goal.
This is an excellent game for youth groups, it’s a fun PE game, it makes an excellent team building exercise, and it can be played indoors or out. No matter where or when you choose to play this game, the group will always have a great time.
If you’re not familiar with this game these ten easy steps will show you how to play Protect the President.
- Playground ball
- A large space to play
Number of Players
- It doesn’t matter how many people play, but it is best when played in groups of ten or less, so if you have a large group, consider splitting them up.
How to Play Protect the President
1. All the players should form a circle.
2. Choose one player to be the first President.
3. Choose one player to be the first bodyguard.
4. The President and the bodyguard should take their places inside the circle with the bodyguard in a position of protecting the President.
5. Determine a specific time for gameplay.
6. The players outside the circle will try to hit the President with the ball while the bodyguard does all he/she can to protect the President from getting hit.
7. Players can choose to throw the ball toward the President, or they can throw the ball to other players who might have a better angle at the President.
8. If the ball touches the President, he/she will then be out and must find a place in the circle.
9. The bodyguard becomes the new President and the person who last touched the ball or hit the President with the ball becomes the new bodyguard.
10. Play continues until the time is up or when everyone has had their turn inside the circle.
1. If you have a large group of people and you choose to divide them up into two separate groups, consider competition between the two groups. You could give them a time limit and the group who gets the most Presidents out before the time is up will be the winners.
2. You can make the game more challenging by adding two balls to the circle.
No matter the variation of the game, one important rule is that the President cannot move from his position unless the bodyguard pushes him out of the way.
As with any activity, safety is the most important thing to keep in mind, so before beginning to play the game Protect the President take the following safety check into consideration:
- Examine the Area- Before beginning to play the game examine the area for hazards that could cause injury i.e., cords, rope, glass, poison (when playing outdoors), etc.
- Stay Hydrated- Be sure everyone stays well hydrated when playing outdoors. Provide plenty of water and sugar-free sports drinks to avoid dehydration.
- Appropriate Clothing- Be sure everyone dresses appropriately for the conditions. Overdressing in the heat can cause illness. To avoid injury, open-toed shoes such as flip-flops should not be worn.
- First Aid Preparedness- When working with youth groups and the like it would be best practice to have someone who is first aid certified close by. You should also be sure and have a fully stocked first aid kit on hand.
Now that you know how to play Protect the President, gather the group and have some fun! If you like games like this, you may like the game Gaga ball.